Salvia is a rich and diverse genus with over 900 known species worldwide, great landscape potential. S. splendens is one of the most commonly grown ornamental Salvia species. Flaming red is the signature color of this striking, fragrant plant which bears flowers in profusion on tall, erect spikes. Newer hybrids with pink, purple or white flowers add to the appeal of this long-time garden favorite.
Cultivars / Varieties
- Bonfire – 18″; Knee-hi, scarlet-red, thick spikes, early flowering.
- Cover Girl – 7″; Very early, excellent in packs & reliable in garden. Stocky scarlet spikes.
- Flare – 14″; Profusion of bright red spikes w’ dark-green foliage.
- Lighthouse Series – 24-30″ spreading 12″; Deep, vibrant colors. The only tall S. splendens on mkt today. Bushy plants display long-lasting color in the garden. Makes a low maintenance, heat resistant, background plant in landscapes. Suitable large containers. Purple, Red.
- Maestro – 8-10″; Early flowering with dark-green foliage, heart shaped leaves & compact deep scarlet flower spikes.
- Magic Series – 14″; Weather tolerant, early, compact plant w’ dark-green foliage & strong spikes. Red & White, Scarlet.
- Mojave – 8″; Heat tolerant, very deep-red, big thick spikes. Glossy dark-green foliage. New spikes cover the old. Early.
- Reddy Series – 6″ container, 10″ garden spreading 10″; Genetic dwarf with unique non-stretching habit.. Stocky spikes above dark-green foliage. Bright Red, Lavender, Pink, Purple, Scarlet Bicolor, White, White Surprise (bicolor white calyxes & scarlet-red corollas).
- Sahara – 12″; Strongly base branching, robust but stays short, with dark-green foliage & thick compact scarlet-red spikes over a long season. Excellent garden endurance against heat and humid conditions.
- Saint John’s Fire – 12″; Very early flowers bright red.
- Salsa Series – 12-14″; Will flower in 9-10 weeks. Great, long blooming garden performer in sun or partial shade. Light Purple, Scarlet.
- Salvano – 12″; Multiple vivid-red flower spikes. Vigorous growth & robust frame provide long season color.
- Scarlet King – 11″; Excellent scarlet-red color.
- Sentry – 8″ container, 10″ garden; Intense deep red, densely packed flower spike. Extremely early, compactly branching and durable in garden.
- Sizzler Series — 12″; Dark-Green foliage. Blooms early on compact plants. Burgundy, Burgundy Halo, Purple, Red, Salmon.
- Top Series – 14″; Robust landscape & garden habit. Burgundy, Scarlet.
- Vista Series – 12″; Early flowering. Dark-green leaves. Lavender, Purple, Red, Red & White, Salmon, White.
– Missouri Botanical Garden
Specialty Cut Flowers by Armitage & Laushman
Salvia splendens – North Carolina State Extension
Salvia – Cornell University
Recommended for Wildlife by
For the Birds, Butterflies & Hummingbirds: Creating Inviting Habitats – Virginia Extension